Are you a victim of an expensive car insurance policy? Believe me when I say there are a lot of people in DeBary just like you who feel imprisoned by their car insurance policy.
Amazingly, the majority of drivers kept their policy with the same company for at least four years, and nearly half have never compared rates to find cheap insurance. Consumers in Florida could save themselves $1,100 a year by just shopping around, but they just don't understand the big savings they would realize if they moved their coverage to a different company.
There are many insurers to buy insurance from, and though it is a good thing to have a selection, it can be more difficult to compare rates and find the lowest cost car insurance.
Consumers need to compare premium rates periodically because insurance prices go up and down regularly. Just because you had the lowest rates on car insurance on your last policy you may be paying too much now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because I'm going to let you in on the secrets to the only way to find great coverage at a great price.
The intent of this article is to teach you how to compare rates easily and some tips to save money. If you have insurance now, you will be able to shop for the lowest rates using these methods. But Florida vehicle owners must comprehend the way companies determine prices and apply this information to your search.
Best companies for Florida car insurance
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in Florida. If your goal is to find the best cheap auto insurance in Florida, we recommend you visit several of them to get the lowest price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Malibu LS||$1,232||$616||$103|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$1,378||$689||$115|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$1,616||$808||$135|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$936||$468||$78|
|Ford Explorer XLT AWD||$1,556||$778||$130|
|Ford F-150 STX Super Cab 2WD||$1,510||$755||$126|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,308||$654||$109|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,512||$756||$126|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$822||$411||$69|
|Honda Civic LX-S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,206||$603||$101|
|Hyundai Elantra Blue 4-Dr Sedan||$1,186||$593||$99|
|Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$1,328||$664||$111|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,022||$511||$85|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$1,912||$956||$159|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,582||$791||$132|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Florida minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Price information does not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can affect coverage prices considerably.
The information below shows how choosing a deductible and can influence Toyota Corolla insurance premiums for different insured age categories. The premiums assume a single male driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are factored in.
Toyota Corolla rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Full coverage rates compared to liability-only
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Ram annual premium costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in Florida. The prices are based on no claims, a clean driving record, $1,000 deductibles, single female driver, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Dodge Ram rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Should you be buying full coverage?
There is no clear-cut formula to delete full coverage on your policy, but there is a general convention. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let's pretend your Dodge Ram claim settlement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would receive is $8,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying more than $800 annually to have full coverage, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
There are some cases where dropping full coverage is not advised. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not remove full coverage.
Age-based auto insurance rates by gender
The chart below illustrates the comparison of car insurance rates for male and female drivers in DeBary. The costs are based on no violations or accidents, full coverage, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied to the premium on a Toyota Corolla XLE.
Toyota Corolla rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Save money with these ten premium slashing discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you might be missing out on some discounts that you may not even know about. Some discounts will apply at the time you complete a quote, but some must be specifically requested before you will receive the discount.
- Good Drivers - Insureds who avoid accidents could pay up to 40% less compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Accident Forgiveness - Not a discount per se, but a handful of insurance companies will forgive one accident before raising your premiums if you are claim-free prior to the accident.
- Paperwork-free - Some of the larger companies give back up to $50 for completing your application on their website.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Not all insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a small discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- Low Miles Discount - Fewer annual miles could be rewarded with cheaper insurance rates.
- Theft Deterrent System - Cars and trucks equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- ABS Brakes - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS braking systems or traction control are safer to drive so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Accident Free - Good drivers with no accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on DeBary car insurance quote as compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Discount for Home Ownership - Just being a homeowner may trigger a policy discount on insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Vehicles with factory air bags or motorized seat belts could see savings of up to 25% or more.
Remember that most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears you can get free auto insurance, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
Larger insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts include:
- State Farm offers discounts for multiple policy, student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, multiple autos, good driver, and passive restraint.
- Farmers Insurance offers premium reductions for alternative fuel, teen driver, business and professional, youthful driver, distant student, electronic funds transfer, and bundle discounts.
- Progressive may include discounts for online quote discount, continuous coverage, online signing, multi-policy, good student, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
- GEICO discounts include anti-lock brakes, membership and employees, air bags, federal employee, military active duty, defensive driver, and seat belt use.
- Auto-Owners Insurance includes discounts for student away at school, air bags, good student, paid in full, mature driver, company car, and multi-policy.
- The Hartford offers discounts including air bag, good student, bundle, vehicle fuel type, and driver training.
- Farm Bureau has discounts for multi-vehicle, safe driver, multi-policy, 55 and retired, and youthful driver.
- USAA may have discounts that include multi-policy, safe driver, family discount, vehicle storage, new vehicle, and annual mileage.
It's a good idea to ask each company or agent which discounts you may be entitled to. Some credits may not apply in DeBary. To find companies with the best insurance discounts in DeBary, click here.
But they said I'd save $400 a year!
Respected companies like 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm constantly bombard you with ads on television and other media. All the companies make the point that drivers can save some big amount just by moving your policy. But how can every company make the same claim? Here is the trick they use.
Insurance providers look for specific characteristics for the type of customer that will not have excessive claims. An example of this type of insured could possibly be over the age of 35, owns their home, and insures a new vehicle. Any person that matches those criteria is entitled to the best price and most likely will save some money.
Drivers who are not a match for the "perfect" profile will probably be forced to pay a more expensive rate and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The trick companies use is to say "customers that switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" save the amount stated. That's the way insurance companies can make claims that they all have the best premium rates.
This illustrates why it is so important to do a price quote comparison at every renewal. It's just not possible to know which auto insurance company will give you lower car insurance rates than your current company.
Detailed coverages of your insurance policy
Learning about specific coverages of your insurance policy helps when choosing which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement. These are typical coverages found on the average insurance policy.
Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like damage from getting keyed, hitting a bird, a broken windshield and theft. The maximum payout a insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible it's not worth carrying full coverage.
Liability insurance will cover damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property. It protects you against claims from other people, and does not provide coverage for your injuries or vehicle damage.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show policy limits of 10/20/10 that translate to a limit of $10,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $20,000, and a total limit of $10,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Another option is one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which limits claims to one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage pays for claims like emergency aid, bail bonds, structural damage and legal defense fees. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. Florida state minimum liability requirements are 10/20/10 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
Coverage for collisions
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by collision with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against claims like crashing into a building, damaging your car on a curb and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
This coverage protects you and your vehicle's occupants from other motorists when they are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your vehicle.
Since many Florida drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 10/20/10), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important. Most of the time the UM/UIM limits are identical to your policy's liability coverage.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for short-term medical expenses for things like prosthetic devices, hospital visits, surgery and rehabilitation expenses. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not universally available and may carry a deductible
One last thing to lower rates
When buying insurance coverage, it's a bad idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits only to regret that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
More affordable auto insurance in DeBary is attainable from both online companies and also from your neighborhood DeBary agents, so you need to shop DeBary car insurance with both to get a complete price analysis. Some companies don't offer internet price quotes and usually these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.
Additional detailed information can be read in these articles:
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)
- How Much are Florida Auto Insurance Rates for Safe Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for Ride Shares in Florida? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Florida Auto Insurance Quotes for Veterans? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers with a DUI in Florida? (FAQ)
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)