Nobody I know rejoices having to buy car insurance, especially when the cost is way too high.
It's astonishing, but most car insurance buyers have stayed with the same insurance company for four years or more, and 38% of customers have never shopped around. Consumers in St. Petersburg could save roughly $1,126 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they don't believe the rate savings if they bought a different policy.
Due to the increasing number of companies and agents to choose from, it can be challenging to locate the right insurer.
Finding the cheapest coverage in St. Petersburg is actually not that difficult if you follow our advice. If you have coverage now, you stand a good chance to be able to reduce premiums using the concepts you're about to learn. Although Florida drivers can benefit from knowing how insurance companies price online insurance because rates are impacted by many factors.
Best companies for affordable rate quotes in Florida
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Florida. If you want cheap auto insurance in St. Petersburg, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid||$1,252||$626||$104|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Extended Cab 2WD||$1,714||$857||$143|
|Dodge Grand Caravan SXT||$1,146||$573||$96|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$1,688||$844||$141|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$934||$467||$78|
|Ford F-150 XL Crew Cab 2WD||$1,090||$545||$91|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,126||$563||$94|
|Ford Fusion SEL AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$1,708||$854||$142|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,404||$702||$117|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,290||$645||$108|
|Honda Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,618||$809||$135|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4WD||$1,402||$701||$117|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,484||$742||$124|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,102||$551||$92|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,400||$700||$117|
|Toyota RAV4 2WD||$1,452||$726||$121|
|Toyota Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$1,162||$581||$97|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Florida minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, and safe-driver. Table data does not factor in your specific St. Petersburg location which can affect insurance rates noticeably.
Insurance premiums for males and females
The example below shows the comparison of car insurance costs for male and female drivers in St. Petersburg. The prices are based on no violations or accidents, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied to the premium on a Toyota Corolla XLE.
Toyota Corolla rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Discounts can help save money on insurance
Companies offering auto insurance do not list every disount available very well, so we took the time to find some of the best known and also the lesser-known insurance savings.
- Military Discounts - Having a family member in the military can result in better prices.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Not all insurance carriers offer life insurance, but some may give you a discounted rate on car insurance if you buy a life policy as well.
- Student Driver Training - Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll and complete driver's education in high school.
- Payment Discounts - By making one initial payment instead of making monthly payments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Discounts for Good Drivers - Safe drivers could pay up to 40% less compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Accident-Free Discounts - Insureds who avoid accidents and claims have much lower rates compared to bad drivers.
- Government Employee Discount - Having worked for a branch of the government can earn a discount up to 10% but check with your company.
- Student in College - College-age children who live away from home at college and leave their car at home could qualify for this discount.
- Student Discounts - Performing well in school may save as much as 25% on a St. Petersburg auto insurance quote. You can use this discount normally up until you turn 25.
A quick disclaimer, most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, nobody gets a free ride. But any discount should definitely cut your premiums.
To choose insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in St. Petersburg, click here.
When to contact a local insurance agent
Many drivers just want to get advice from a local agent and that is just fine! One of the benefits of comparing insurance prices online is that you can obtain better rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After filling out this short form, your coverage information gets sent to insurance agents in St. Petersburg that give free quotes for your coverage. There is no reason to contact an agency due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. You can find lower rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you have a need to quote rates for a specific company, feel free to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Finding the right company should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. Some important questions to ask are:
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
When researching a local insurance agency, there are two different types of agencies that you can select. St. Petersburg agents are categorized either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies work for only one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. These agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agencies are very knowledgeable on what they offer and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in St. Petersburg willing to provide price quote information.
Scott Smith - State Farm Insurance Agent
5300 66th St N - St. Petersburg, FL 33709 - (727) 546-5715 - View Map
Independent agencies do not write with just one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with multiple insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. If prices rise, your agent can switch companies which requires no work on your part.
When comparison shopping, we recommend you include several independent insurance agents to have the best price comparison.
Shown below is a list of independent agents in St. Petersburg that can give you price quote information.
Save 15 percent in 15 minutes? Is it for real?
Big name companies like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO continually stream television, radio, and online ads. They all seem to try to convey promises that drivers can save some big amount if you just switch your car insurance policy to them. How does every company charge less that you're paying now? This is the way they can do it.
All companies quote their cheapest rates for the driver that earns them a profit. For instance, a profitable insured may need to be between the ages of 40 and 55, has never had a claim, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A customer who fits those characteristics is entitled to the best price and as a result will probably cut their rates substantially.
Consumers who do not meet these criteria will see higher premiums and this results in business going elsewhere. Company advertisements say "drivers who switch" not "everyone who quotes" can save as much as they claim. That's why companies can truthfully make those statements. This really drives home the point why you need to compare quotes as often as possible. Because you cannot predict the company that will fit your personal profile best.
When searching for the cheapest St. Petersburg auto insurance quotes, it's not a good idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. In many cases, someone sacrificed liability coverage limits only to regret that it was a big error on their part. The goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Some companies don't offer rate quotes online and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through independent agents. Low-cost insurance in St. Petersburg is definitely available both online and also from your neighborhood St. Petersburg agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
In this article, we covered a lot of ways to save on insurance in St. Petersburg. It's most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers could even find that the best price on insurance is with a lesser-known regional company. These companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
To read more, feel free to browse the following helpful articles:
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Uber Drivers in Florida? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for High Mileage Drivers in Florida? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Orlando, Florida? (FAQ)
- How Much are Florida Car Insurance Rates for Inexperienced Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Florida Auto Insurance Quotes for a Ford Escape? (FAQ)
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Drunk Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)